Thursday, January 25, 2018

Getting older or fatter?

Just got my new passport, and was about to toss the old one when I compared the pictures.
left: 2013, right: 2018
I see a double chin coming up. I was way more out of shape in 2013, so probably the reason for the double chin is the long hours I spend with my head lowered with smartphones... Also my hair is thinning I suppose.
We got a new air conditioner as the old one was leaking gas apparently and didn't warm or cool anything. The replacement was free thanks to the insurance which came with the house, and since the old one is no longer being manufactured, we actually got a much newer updated version with people sensor and lots of functions which I probably won't use ever. While the service guys were working I put the cats in the tatami room and closed the door. Of course not before Chubby managed to completely freak out and attempt to kill me.
She's a pro!
Outside the weather was terrible, cold and strong winds. For the first time ever the water in the coop had frozen solid so the birds drank the remaining snow when they came out. And hot water pipes were of course frozen until the record time of noon. After that I replaced their still frozen water with hot water, and also covered all the holes with old blankets to keep it cozy and less drafty. The air conditioner guy was working outside too and kept moaning loud about how cold it was and that he couldn't feel his fingers. Poor guy. After the air conditioner was all installed and being tested he stood right under it and enjoyed the warm air. Myself, I was mostly inside with my jacket on...
The ground outside had frozen into shards... the top soil was all full of holes and full of probably 10 cm long crystals.
The backyard-sicle
The empty patches were worst, which can be seen in the middle part of the backyard picture. To the right, it was also frozen but not as much thanks to the vegetation. The beans all looked dead though, or just sleeping. On the left side the two Yuzu trees are still OK. I am still not sure why they planted them so close to each other. When they grow bigger they will surely interfere with each other's growth rather than help. I guess I will just have to keep pruning them best I can. Behind the Yuzu, my Jasmine bush is spreading slowly now that I have removed a lot of weed. To the left of all that, there is a patch of dirt where I spread the lilac seeds before the frost. The frost is supposed to kick start the germination so let's see if anything comes out in spring.
Outside was freezing but inside the eggs and incubator were nice and warm.
Incubator version 1.2
I made a few changes. Put more pads in to avoid the eggs rolling around and bump into each other. Also moved the thermometer to allow more space for the eggs. (the picture was taken before this move, now all 5 eggs are on the right in the same row)
Also added an adjustment lamp which is smaller to quickly raise the temperature by having it on together with the main lamp, or to slowly reduce the temperature by only turning the small one on. Gives me a little better control over the temperature. The humidity is still kind of hard to control but I do my best. Mostly it is around 40 which is supposed to be perfect during the first 2 weeks. Temperature is between 37 and 38, a couple of times it got too hot or too cold, but I read that it is not that important to keep the temp perfectly still at all times.
The eggs keep the temp for a while, even if they are left by the chicken, plus the temperature reading is the air right in front of the lamps where the thermometer has been moved to, not 5 cm further away where the eggs are so I have to take all that with a grain of salt. Apparently people have succeeded hatching eggs with much more random temperatures.
I am still not sure if the eggs actually are fertile so it could all be for nothing. End of this weekend I may be able to tell by candling them. Yesterday I kept watch and got the egg in the morning around 10 A.M. right after it was laid. Warm and nice, hopefully best chance to hatch. Meaning that today's egg which I will collect around 5 P.M. will have been out in the cold for 6 hours...
So for today's eggs, I will eat them. That way I can also check inside for fertility. I got 5 eggs in the incubator, and hopefully during the weekend I will pick 4 more. That will make full capacity of my incubator. More updates later.
By the way, here is a picture of the fourteen trees which I will be cutting down to make way for the levels and construction in the backyard.
The slope looks so mild in pictures, but in reality I can barely climb it

No comments:

Post a Comment