Monday, January 8, 2018

Hidden treasures

Since moving in 6 months ago, we have grown used to not watching TV on account of the house not having any antennas on its roof. The only thing that it has is a tiny dish that manages to receive 2-3 so-so channels that we can watch if we are real desperate. Installing an antenna on the roof is not expensive but having to pay on a monthly basis for something we don't watch is a pain. Plus the way they make you pay is so vile and once you enter a contract with them they pretty much own you and can come and go as they please. No sir, until they learn to treat people with a bit of respect they can keep knocking on our door and get turned down like the clowns they are.
Anyway, I thought it would be a nice x-mas present to get a tiny indoor antenna. Said and done, bought the 5000 yen variant and brought home and hooked up to the old TV. No signal. Connected the booster that it came with to the power outlet hoping to get something. Nothing. Took the whole thing up to the second floor but still nada.
Well, at least we tried. Returned the antenna to the shop and told them it doesn't work where we live, coverage is too weak, and got a refund.
Back home I started looking for stronger indoor antennas online. But buying an antenna online and then realizing it is still too weak, I was not sure I could get a refund as easily. Looked more for a guarantee and found a company that sold and installed both indoor and outdoor antennas. Called them up and asked what would happen if their antenna doesn't work where I live, and they said I have to pay their transportation fee anyways, which was 5000 yen. I told them I would think about it.
Looking more at their home page I saw they even install outdoor antennas indoors, under the roof in the attic, "for aesthetic reasons" as they put it. Perfect, I thought. Then for some reason I got the urge to go up and have a look if there was a big piece of metal that would hinder such installation from working, and to make sure there was room up there for an antenna. After all I had never been up there yet.
Up we go...
While climbing the ladder, there was this strange thought that crawled around in my head, but it was pretty silly so I didn't pay it much attention. It said "wouldn't it be nice if there was an antenna in there already?" But I kept thinking logically that all our neighbors have antennas on their roofs, probably for a reason. Because the signal around here, behind the hill, is too weak for indoor antennas to work. And that is why the previous owner had other alternative means of watching TV, like internet and a satellite dish.
The tiny 3rd floor room
I found a hatch in there that I had never noticed nor opened before. Cool, a bit like exploring a dungeon. Went back down and got a torch. Back up and opened the hatch and stuck my head in there while thinking "I wonder how much they would change extra if I asked them to connect all the outlets in the rooms below to the antenna..."
Yep. Empty as I thought.
Then another thought hit me as I turned my head to look around. "Hmm, did I ever try connecting the TV to those antenna outlets? Of course not! No point knowing there is no antenna on the roof... but wait a minute... what if.."
And then I saw it. First a cable and following it with the light the antenna itself.
Hallelujah!
Oboy! Could it be it is already connected and working? I ran down and hooked the TV up and it turned out it is connected to every room. Great. Next time I can tell the worthless guy knocking on my door to fuck off without feeling bad about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment