Thursday, January 18, 2018

Vacancy

I think all of those living in our street, as well as all of those living in the parallel street across the train tracks, very well can hear the rooster crowing in the mornings. That is a lot of enemies we would create if we kept the roosters.
Now I didn't go around to each of them. I only went to the next door neighbors on each side, and gave them a bunch of fresh eggs and asked for their patience.
Of course they both shrugged and said they had not even noticed the ungodly early hour loud crowing, and wondered what I was talking about. Yeah right, way to be nice and civil about it. But I persisted and apologized and said even if they didn't hear it till now, it had just started and would get much worse, and that I had already arranged for their removal.
"Oh, but no you mustn't. Not on our behalf. Please keep your roosters." was the answer. And they say Japanese people don't get sarcasm.
The roles were switched, and now I was the one pretending to not get sarcasm. Taking their statement for what it was I said No, they have to go. They are too much inconvenience.
Funny part is that the second neighbor I visited had their little son standing next to her and listening on, and suddenly said "Oh, yeah, so that is the crowing we have been hearing every day early morning!" and the mom said "No, nonsense, we haven't heard anything. Really there is no inconvenience."
The following two mornings the crowing got louder and earlier and lasted longer as expected. On Thursday I went to the coop armed with a big box and picked up the roosters and put them in.
Actually it was not at all that simple. I had to chase after the two roosters INSIDE the coop while ALL of us (6 chickens and my upper body, the water holder, the poop board and lots and lots of poop from the previous night) were there. Lots of extreme flapping, gathering in the farthest unreachable corner and trying to hide behind each other, and then more flapping and screaming their heads of just for the smallest touch, and me getting lots of wood shavings and poop all over me, my face and IN MY EYES. It still hurts.
On top of that the night before had rained heavily and turned the chicken run into a fun slippery slope made of mud, so I got to experience the 3 meter standing slide while carrying big box with two roosters, speeding into the so called door of the run which I did my best not to crash into but kind of slowly ease towards which did not work at all.
our multi-purpose entrance
I put the box in the entrance, put a bit of feed inside and water as well. Kept the cats away for 2 hours and the cocks seemed to calm down and start eating.
I handed over the box to the guy who I got them from a few months before, and he apologized and gave me a couple of ceremonial apology towels, plus my cash back.
He said next time he gets young hens will be in about 6 months so I should call him back.
For now, I have a big vacancy in the coop...
The ladies don't mind
The hens missed their guys for a couple of hours and were looking around a bit worried and calling for them, but forgot about them after that and continued their lives.
Actually this morning when I went to open their coop door, for the first time I found them all still sleeping as there had not been anyone waking them up. Haha.
Now the days are getting longer and it has not been freezing cold for a couple of days. The peas have just started to bloom, and hopefully from now on I can start growing things and the garden will turn green again.
green peas

No comments:

Post a Comment