Monday, April 15, 2019

Plum pocket epidemic

In the garden I last week prepared the soil by mixing in some manure and compost. This weekend I planted seeds cause it seems the frost is finally ending.
I planted 2 types of corn, and also potato in the sloped backyard area. I also spread some fertilizer in the strawberry beds. The chickens got lots and lots of chingensai, broccoli and other greens that I pulled out.
Chingensai flowers, you can see bees too
I did leave a patch of chingensai though because the flowers smelled absolutely sweet, just like honey. Other flowers I noted are the cherry tree, which is blooming for the first time. Last year I couldn't identify it because there were no flowers.
Cherry tree next to the chicken run
Pretty and white flowers. I hope the birds don't eat all the fruits...
Zoomed in
The peach sapling is full of flowers too... although the branches kind of look tiny and malplaced. Nothing is growing from the upper parts.
I just have to wait and see
And next in order is the plum tree... all those pretty flowers are replaced by leafs and unfortunately the whole tree seems to be covered with those nasty sick fungi that causes the fruit to transform into empty shells, the plum pocket disease or whatever it was called. I tried picking them off but there are just too many. Maybe 95% of the fruit will be wasted because of it...
Just a few I picked. Yuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment