Monday, April 1, 2019

Chipping wood

The aluminum ramps worked perfect for loading the shredder into the mini truck. Once that was done, I secured it with some rope so it wouldn't tip over while the truck is in motion. Then I took a veeery slow and careful drive to the woods.
However, I guess all my care was not enough, because when it was time to turn to left, at a traffic light and up a slope, the shredder did tip over and actually off the truck. The rope kept its legs in the truck though so its head dragged in the asphalt a couple of meters before I could stop. I got out and heaved the shredded up into the truck again, and saw that the painting on the side rim of the trunk had gotten its first bruises...oh well.
Drove the rest of the way without any incidents. Once there, I unloaded the shredder using the ramps, and proceeded to clear a small area in my lot where I could park the truck.
Once cleared, I got into the truck and started driving into the "parking" but the ground underneath was too soft and muddy and before long the truck was stuck, dug about 10 cm into the mud and would not move.
Stuck! What a great way to start the day.
Just my luck. Got out and used all my might to push and pull the truck out of its mucky grave and eventually fill in the holes under the tires with straws and branches and such. But still it was not enough to get the car out. As soon as I started the engine the wheels would just spin in place and dig deeper into the ground. Called Chika at home to come over and give me a hand by starting the car while I push.
She came over and was puzzled about the clutch so first I had to give her a crash course of how to drive manual shift. Or at least how to start, how to go forward, how to go backward, as well as how to break.
I got behind the car and used all my remaining power to push and pull the car back and forth until it got a bit of momentum and then shouted to Chika to start the car and go forward. That helped a bit, the car got out of its holes but she had to stop in order to not crash into a tree trunk, and the ground beneath was still very soft so I figured if trying to drive there the truck would get stuck again. It had to back out unto the road. Made sure that the four previous holes in the ground were filled up, before pulling the car.
I could not push the car back by standing in its front, because the front of the car is very weak, not made of metal and would just get dented and the car wouldn't actually move. So I had to stand behind the car and pull it. Anyway....long story short, together we got the car out and I drove it over to the road where the ground was more solid. I was afraid it would get stuck again so I sped up.
When I was walking back to the plot from where I parked the truck I noticed a lot of stinging nettles have started to emerge.
Better be careful.. these really can hurt
Now the shredding could start. I began slowly with tiny branches and moved up to thicker and thicker to see what size bamboo the shredder could handle.
The out-mouth of the shredder was too small and all the chipped wood kept getting stuck there and I had to stop the machine and clean it out every few minutes, which became cumbersome so I just removed the mouth piece all together and pointed the shredder toward my plot so it would just spit out the chips all over the woods in front of it. It still git clogged every 10 minutes or so and I had to clear the pile of chip in front of it every now and then but way less frequent than with the mouth cover in place.
The chipper in its natural environment. Mouth piece in the back.
With the time spent clearing a tiny parking area, and the car getting stuck and all that, I didn't have much time left for the shredding. Just a couple hours, which I used to get the feel of the machine. A couple of old guys came by and asked me if they could have some bamboo, as they were building a fence for the children's playground nearby. I told them it was ok to take as much bamboo as their heart desired at any time. They looked surprised and happy to hear that and gave me real deep bows and went off. I moved the chipper to the back of the plot and continued shredding a bit more until I put in a real big and thick bamboo in there which the machine didn't seem to handle very well so I had to lift the bamboo out. I smelled a bit of burnt rubber too so I stopped the engine, when trying to start the engine again by pulling on its rope, it didn't move. So I called it a day. Next day I would check what was the blocker. Parked the shredder in the woods and drove home.
The shredder sleeping
  

No comments:

Post a Comment