Monday, April 1, 2019

The revenge of the bamboo

I have covered the plot all I could with the cut bamboo, but still light gets through and the new bamboo shoots have started emerging.
They're here....
I kicked over a couple that I could see right away. Still they are not so tall, just a few centimeters above ground so it is simple enough. Maybe next weekend they would be tall enough for me to spot directly and kill.
popping up here and there...
I think I spotted around 10 so far.
A couple more in this picture
The ones I did not kick over, I dug out for eating.
Here is one.
I gave half of them to our neighbor and the rest I prepared myself...
The harvest of the day
Although I love the taste I myself don't eat them as I am allergic/too sensitive to their poison. I boiled the shoots with rice rinse for 1,5 hours and voila there we had a nice huge serving.
So yummy looking
Chika had some, and she had some more the day after. However the day after she did complain that hurt belly hurt and her mouth did tingle when eating the bamboo, so we agreed that I would just stop serving her bamboo. I offered to call an ambulance but she said she was not that bad. So from now on I will just kick over the bamboos. I guess I will stop giving them to our neighbor too, just in case they are as bad as me at preparing them. Don't wanna poison them accidentally.
I went over and had a quick look at the field I am borrowing, the one I planted some potatoes in.
A few of the potatoes have started to come out.
Pretty distinct color
one more potato

No comments:

Post a Comment