Monday, April 1, 2019

The shredder must be cut

The previous day had left my body aching all over. Pushing and pulling the truck, and loading large bamboo into the shredder etc I had used muscles which I didn't know I had to their limit...
My arms, legs, back, front, everywhere is pain, and I can barely move. Anyway, I went to the forest to check what the shredder's problem was.
Seen from the out-mouth on front
After cleaning out the insides, a first glance shows that some of the separator teeth has become bent. Wow, the force is strong with bamboo. As well as one of the separators has simply vanished. 13 horse powers mixed with hard bamboo can do that to metal, no matter how tough.
However, that was not the problem. The started rope would not move so something must be keeping the rotor with all the blades from turning. It was just stuck.
I looked around and could not see what the problem was, so I started stripping the shredder's parts to get better view.
First I removed the feeding parts on top and on the side. That opened up a hole on the side and an even bigger hole on top.
From above
Finally I could spot it. The feeder hole on the side has a bit of metal welded to it, to strengthen the hole. That extra piece of metal had somehow been ripped apart and bent over, stuck just between the wall where it is welded and the moving parts, and was now stopping the cutter from rotating.
A closer look from the side hole
The metal has curled just to fit into the distance between the wall and the blades. It is really thick metal so hammering or manually trying to bend it back with sheers won't do.
The only way I can fix it is to cut it out.
I removed the back wall to get to the blocking piece better from inside.
From inside
I used a sheer to straighten the bent separators. And then used a tiny saw to slowly cut the curled part. In the picture you can see the tiny tiny cut where I started. Result of 15 minutes of sawing. The saw I was using was pretty dull though so I decided to buy a better one, and try again another day.
At least it feels good to have figured out what the problem was.
Oh, and Mr. K came by and asked me if he could put his unwanted bamboo in my plot so I can shred it. He said its too much work to burn them.
Nice as I am I said sure.
I mean it doesn't make a difference if have to shred my 1000 bamboos or 1000+30 of his.

No comments:

Post a Comment