Monday, October 23, 2017

Blown but not disturbed

Stupid typhoon again all night.
After it was over, in the morning, went out to check the damages. Sun was shining and there was a nice strong wind.
The tunnel over strawberries had blown off and hanging by a thread. Fixed it again. Next time I set a tunnel I will do it properly.
Actually I will be setting up tunnels over most of my veggies until they have established from now on. Tiny worms have eaten the leaves of lots of vegetables that were under the open. I guess my garden is not as balanced as I thought when it comes to bug predators.
A big plastic barrel I use to keep manure in was empty at the time, and stood upside down in the backyard. After the typhoon it had somehow managed to blow up to the garden, over the 1,5 meter wall, hmm.
The chicken coop door had blown open but the chickens had the good sense to not go out. Also the run's gate had opened up a bit but not wide open. Fixed the gate and the door. The rain had revealed some tiny openings that had let in water, opened up the doors and window of the coop wide open so that the sun and the wind would dry up the insides. Then used sealant to close up the tiny openings... let's see if it got better next time it rains. Oh, and one of the two nest boxes was soaking wet so water had leaked in from somewhere... and I saw beginning of mold on the wood, which I sand papered right away, and let the sun take care of it. Next weekend I will spray paint over that nest box...
Used sealant to close where I thought the water was leaking in, but not sure. Added a bit of extra protection against rain with a blue sheet. Ugly but functional.
The chickens were eager to be out and play in the sun anyway so we all spent a nice day out, me catching bugs and giving to them, at the same time as I cleaned up the garden.
After cleanup. It's like my garden took a shower.
I think all the saplings made it although they took a beating. Time will tell. Luckily my beans had not grown leaves yet, probably the leaves will come this week.
The front of the house with the 2 saplings and all the tiny sprouts now growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment