Thursday, October 26, 2017

Tall order

Line up!
We got lots of evergreen trees protecting the view on the south side. Almost all of them are either still young or just well behaved, so yet I am not in desperate need of trimming them.

However, this one guy is just too big for its own good. I have postponed dealing with it many times, but now I have to do it.
It's a giant. The fences around it are 2 meter high.
This morning I saw one of the chickens had climbed up inside it to the same height as the fence, and if it had the brains or the will, it would have easily jumped out of the run. Plus I am going to cover the whole run with net roof so that the chickies can fly without getting out. I am not going to cut the whole tree down, because it provides good shade and protection for the chickens, and they like gathering under it. Plus it keeps the ground together I guess. But at least I need to shorten it to 2-2,5 meters. That way it can go under the net roof.
Also!!!! As I approached the run, the chickens seemed a bit alarmed (nowadays they get excited when I get close to the run because they know they are getting treats) instead of happy, and ran away in different directions, and among the things running I saw glimpse of a white thing running along the south fence. First I though it was a chicken but then I remembered the white one was R.I.P. A second later I knew it was the neighbor cat who was outside of the run, and saw me and ran away into the bushes.
So, my weekend work is cut out for me.
1- Put net roof over half the run (The half including the coop) so that the chickens have somewhere to cuddle/hide/panic while I am doing the other steps.
2- Tie the upper half of the big tree, and cut it down (Hopefully it will land outside of the fence)
3- Put cat protection just outside of the southern fence (Actually not only along the run but all the way on the south side of the property)
4- Put net roof over the rest of the run (I probably will need to put a post in to support the net)

Step 2 is gonna be difficult. I could climb up the tree and cut it down in steps, or I could just cut it in one go and split it up later on the ground. Either way, I am going to need a helmet.
For step 3, either a sharp nail strip pointing upward, or plastic bottles full of water, or just bricks. Let's see what I have.
And for step 4, I have actually been thinking of planting a fruit tree right in the middle of the empty space in the run, but not yet decided what. So in the meantime, a post should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment