Sunday, October 29, 2017

White power

With the white baby chick gone, I am still determined to have at least a white chicken. So I got a few more... here is the entire population on the first night, Friday night:
I don't think they like the light shining on them while they try to sleep
The three original chicks (3-4 months old) are on the roost, the new 6 months old chicken is kind of half white, sleeping alone under them, and the two new 2 months old chicks sleep together on the poop board.
The night after that, big momma had also moved up to the roost to sleep. But I guess the two youngest ones are still not comfortable up there, as they keep sleeping next to each other on the poop board.

The poop board works very well, so it gets almost covered after 2-3 days. I take it out and give it a rinse as often as I can, optimally every morning.

On Sunday morning, I found an egg in the coop. Not in the nest though but almost next to the nest entrance.
Hello!
My chickens being araucana, the eggs are supposed to be blue/green. Big momma just started laying eggs and I just got her so I am not sure what kind of diet she has been on. So I was not expecting any super eggs. It was nice enough on toast. Here is a color and size comparison to eggs we bought at the supermarket:
We always buy LL size, so big momma's first egg looks real tiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment