Monday, October 2, 2017

Coop finished

Finally
Yesterday I had just enough daylight to finish the coop. I installed the rubber parts which hinder water form leaking inside. I put a strip on top of the roof where the wiggly boards meet in the middle, and a small strip above the nest lid.
I also finished the second layer of paint about 5 hours before rain started. Whew!
I also "waterproofed" the screws on the roof by dotting paint on each of them.
Now that the coop is finished, I can concentrate on the run, and to find chickens. I did read the details of the Chiba prefecture home page regarding keeping animals, and although they require yearly reports on sanitation and health laws being followed, it seems if you keep less than a 100 chickens (!) you only need to report the number of birds every year. The form contains absolutely nothing else, like say for example at least a statement saying I do promise to keep clean or to report disease or anything. Just how many birds you have, and your name and address. Pretty much waste of everyone's time. But it is simple enough so what do I care.
I will also have more time to tend to the garden, and maybe even to start with the forest plots. I now have a better clue how to start there by the way. I need to get rid of the bamboo, and then make a huge compost pile out of it. When it is kind of ready I shall cover the wood surface with cardboard and put the compost on top, and start by growing beans and crap. Then I can think about what kind of trees would like it there and plant them. But this is all for spring and onward when the bamboo shoots come out. For now I can finish the garden.
The run.... the front part is simple enough I guess, there is a slope but I can create a pretty tall fence with painted solid metal posts, and a small door for me to get through. It is the backside and the right side of the coop that will give me a headache. Backside we have the famous drop where I would really want to have a retaining wall and a fence on top of it. The right  side doesn't really need to be included in the run, as I have fenced the underside of the coop facing that direction already. But I do have a pretty big area with straws and branches which would be ideal for chickens to work at. The problem is that I need to fence it and although its drop depth is not near the backside one, it is still maybe 50-100 cm and unlike the backside where I do own a small strip of the land beyond the drop allowing me some freedom and space when it comes to barrier, the right side drop happens just on the border line...
Gotta think a bit more...
Anyway, in worst case, I can still go with the original plan of minimum area, still allowing up to 5-6 chickens plenty of room to play, without the right side, and with only half of the back area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment