Thursday, April 19, 2018

Scary plants and others

So I introduced ants to the aphids infecting my beans... Very stupid move as I later found out that the ants actually farm the aphids and protect them. Should have googled it earlier, haha.
Anyway, now I had to bring out the heavy artillery cause there were no ladybugs in sight to help me out yet.
I sprayed the plants with a mix of mild soap and water. It was foamy and washed the aphids and ants off nicely. An hour later they were all back up on the leaves, only cleaner.
I made a new batch of foam, and this time added a dash of Tabasco. This kept them off a little longer. They were back 2 hours later again once the leafs had dried. They were fewer though. I already knew it would not be a good idea to add vinegar to my spray mix as I had done so two years ago and it burned the crap out of my plant. I recall reading in some Japanese guide to use milk, but I didn't have any at the moment, and neither did I have any garlic to plant near the beans. My mints and marigolds don't seem to scare the aphids away neither...
As a last resort, I sprinkled the plant with flour. Lots of it. And a day later the aphids seem not to be very happy.
But my bean patch looks like a scary graveyard now
Could it be I have found a solution?
Oh, before I forget... something was eating the leafs of my sunflowers, so I kept an eye on them, and caught the culprit red-handed. Two ladybug looking things, except instead of red they were black, and kind of furry looking. Their black furry backs reflected light in a beautiful way. They both became chicken snacks of course. I don't care how beneficial they may have been, cause they were chewing on my plants when I caught them.
I was standing around admiring the spring in my garden when a beautiful butterfly peacefully surfed the wind and slowly came closer to me and finally landed on the mikan sapling I was next to. It was so cute. Then it bent its back side forward and a tiny round egg came out and got stuck to the sapling. All cuteness disappeared at that moment. I took the egg and squashed it, and looking closer I found about 10 more eggs on that and the other saplings, in various hardness states. I even found a couple of very tiny larvae which I suspect are the butterflies', all of which I terminated. My saplings are not snack tables for insects, not yet. Maybe when they get bigger and can afford some of their leafs.
The Lilacs are coming along just fine. One of them is full of tiny flower buds, and the other has a cluster of flowers in full bloom and it smells like heaven.
The big lilac at the strip inside the gate
The little lilac outside of the gate

No comments:

Post a Comment