Monday, April 23, 2018

Weekend gardening

This weekend the weather was real hot and nice so I got a lot done. I planted garlic both in backyard and the garden main area. I also transplanted the cucumbers and peanuts and string beans outside.
I reused the shaft of the old broken shovel as trellis top
One of the tomato seedlings was getting too big too so I planted it in the bed closest to the kitchen window. 5 of the pumpkin/melon seedlings that I had put in the tunnel in backyard had died, probably because I messed up their roots as mentioned before so I replaced them.
These are the new candidates...let's see how many will survive
Now I have 2 kabochas and 8 melons in the tunnel, plus still a couple of back-up melon seedlings inside.
Backyard tunnel version 2.0
Running up and down the side of the tunnel I happened to disturb some dried out dirt from the slope next to it which rolled down to the bottom. It didn't look so nice. Also I was thinking about how I don't dare planting baby leafs and salads because I can't distinguish them from all the random weeds growing all over the place. Eureka! I put three planters that I had, in strategic places to hold off any minor down-rolling soil. And planted baby leaf and salad seeds in neat rows in them. That way I know it is safe to eat... I guess.
Now I just have to water them and wait.
Behind the fruit saplings, next to the net, I saw the grapes are thriving although there is not much of good soil or growing condition there. Yeah I was much stupider only a few months ago when I put them there.
I do hope they grow and give fruit of course.. but not holding my breath
On my way to take picture of the grapes I noted that the little patch where I had planted asparagus was quite bare... except for some weeds. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
Sunflowers coming up nicely on top, and tiny carrots too
But wait... looking closer...
Looks like a desert
Can it be....? Let's check closer
Oh my so cute!!!
Tiny tiny tiny miniature asparagus coming up from every where. To see how tiny they are, let's see them in comparison with the newly popped up hairy vetch (Thanks Casey for teaching me its name)
The little sunflowers look like giants in comparison
3 more years and I will have a chance to taste them. Plus, hopefully they will take over some of the nasty roots of the bamboo grass...

No comments:

Post a Comment