Monday, April 16, 2018

Tadpole home

Seeing how an already grown frog would not stay, we figured that if a frog came to be in our pond, it would stay naturally... so we kidnapped a few tadpoles from the local park, along with some water and soil from the local lake and poured into the pond. I guess we could call it a good start.
When the frogs start crawling out though, they need a good safe place to hide. I had a lot of logs left over from trimming the backyard, so I went to work...
The pond, in case you forgot what it looks like.
I have still not had time to fix plants and stuff around the pond, and it has only 5 cm deep water in it anyway while waiting for it to fill with rain water. So the whole thing looks pretty pathetic. I dug in a bit of flat shelf-like area on its south side, and hand cut the logs down to size and placed them there. Two of the logs got to act as retainer. I could put pots and what not behind those.
Two horizontal retainers, and a bunch of logs. Now the frogs can hide.
After the weekend's rain, the pond filled up a little bit more, plus I poured about 10 liters from the old tank into it myself. So it looks more like a pond now than a wet hole.
The logs are all in place
Things keep falling into it and add to the organic soup. But the water is very clear. I could see three dead mukade in there who probably came to drink or something. Lots of spiders walking on the surface and also Jesus bugs.
And we have more water in it too
And the tadpoles seem to be healthy...knock on wood.
zoom in to see the tadpoles

No comments:

Post a Comment