Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Garden plans 3

Zoomed in from previous map
In this part I will try to somehow share my confused thoughts when it comes to the main area of the garden. They are still changing constantly and the more I observe the plot, the more a become aware of potential issues and possibilities.
Already at first glance you may notice some differences from before. I will not try to level the south bed, I think keeping it sloped as it is will at least reduce the risk of that strip of land to slide. Plus I am very lazy and terracing that strip and getting rid of the bamboo rhizomes infestation is lots of work. Instead I will try to get some perennials established there, to maybe outgrow the bamboo and also to stabilize the ground.
The rest is more or less already flat so I just have to dig a bit and make beds. In the map I have marked paths with grey. Since the beds have paths on both sides, I can make them double wide.
Next to the beds on the west corner (remember south is up so west is right) which is away from all neighbors, I will fence in a big triangle, put in a simple coop and keep a few chickens for egg. There is a bit of jungle/bush going on in that triangle with lots of bugs and stuff which would be good for the chickens to run around in as they please, so that whole area should be free for chickens to roam in.
Maybe I will put a couple of trees in between spaces too. Not sure yet though. Actually I am thinking backyard for the trees. Right now in the garden there are couple of young trees, which I am not 100% sure what they are (marked with small brown circles in the map). There are also 3 thick old tree stumps holding the earth together where the chicken area will be (marked with big brown circles in the map). There is the mini bamboo/weed/unknown groves (marked green), the three big blueberry bushes (purple) and an area with lots of different flowers (red) which I will keep as they are at least to start with.
North-east of the stairs and the north-most bed (outside of the map) there is yet another slope which is a bit steep to do anything serious with. Right now there are flowers and blackberries growing there, which I hope will become more. The blackberries are right next to the postbox so I pick a couple ripe ones whenever I pass by. 1-2 days after a berry turns black its taste also turns sweet it seems. If I pick a berry same day as it turns black, it is still sour. But if I let it be a couple extra days, it gets super sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment