Monday, July 17, 2017

The wall

The construction guys showed up in the weekend in order to fix the wall and prevent the impending landslide. Here are some before pictures.
On this part the provisional wooden fence has already given in and soil is rolling out
Not easy to see the huge slope behind the bushes. The old guy just starting to cut them down
And after pictures follow here
The wooden structure is gone and replaced with concrete blocks with metal enforcement.
Bushes are gone and wall protects the house, or something like that
I know maybe the after picture is not so good for showing how the most terrible part changed (i.e. the wooden fence part), it may show up in future posts though.
The old guy doing the job must have been like 70 but real lively. I happened to get locked out of the house for the entire day (yeah, that was brilliant not to bring my keys and wallet with me when I go out to the garden for a second), so I had no other choice but to just hang out and watch him work. Occasionally I had a drink of water from the garden hose, or poked into the dirt with a stick. The nets and some of the tools where inside so I couldn't do much work.
The old guy took small breaks from time to time, and I showed him around in the garden, he got to try some blueberries, identified a couple of trees in the garden and gave me some useful hints about what to put where and what to remove. He was real impressed with the size and situation of the garden and said it has lots of potential. I told him about some of the mini projects I have in mind and he liked most of it. He especially lit up when I mentioned the chickens.
Anyway, the wall is done now. I will have to wait a couple of days until it has settled properly and then back fill it with sand and dirt.
  

2 comments:

  1. That's a neat work. The wooden fence really had to go because it wouldn't stand a chance against sliding soil. Metal and concrete would. It's good to know that you feel more secure now. At least you can start beautifying your landscape without worrying about landslide. I'm sure you can still do a lot with that space next to the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yeah now I keep a few chickens and just started planting various veggies and fruit saplings. But the more I do the more I realize how little I know...

      Delete