Sunday, July 2, 2017

Moving out

Last weekend we threw away lots of garbage, packed up the rest and took apart the furniture.
Hopefully it will all fit in the moving company's truck. I also detached the fence I had made in the garden.
This morning we rented a car which will ease the moving of the cats. Every time I had to move up till now, I have been either using a taxi (super expensive, plus I have to keep apologizing to the driver all the way to the destination for having two hysterical monsters aboard. Actually some cabs stop, and once they see the cats in the cage they just drive away. Heartless bastards.), or the train for larger distances (I have to pick the perfect timing so not to ride the train at commuting time, plus the cats get so super noisy, plus it is such a hassle to lift the two cages plus the litter boxes and other necessities, and at the same time change trains a couple of times). This time hopefully the car will be the best option for all involved. The cats can get as hysterical as they want, we will have water, food etc etc with us, plus I get to also load the car with some other stuff, like the kiwi tree from the garden and some other plants and things that may not be suitable to put in the movers' truck.
Moving company will come between 13:00-15:00 and load the truck. We will meet up at the new place, and if everything goes smoothly, we may even have a couple extra hours to do some big shopping at the mall 20 minutes walking distance from the new house, using the car, before it has to be returned at 8 P.M.
For the car, I picked the returning shop closest to the new place, but it is still 2 stations away.
Tomorrow will be packing up day mostly. I also have to meet up with the current rental guy's agent to give him the keys, plus he will check the state of the room after we move out. The state of the room is extremely damp and full of mold, as I have been repeatedly complaining to them but to no avail.
The house was constructed in the 70's, with solid concrete base with no air whatsoever passing beneath it. As result all of the rooms on 1st floor (I checked with our two neighbors and they are putting up with similar hell as well) are so damp that everything (and I mean everything) in them gets covered in mold if left alone for more than 5 days. So basically all of our furniture, books, clothes, electronics, CDs, DVDs, stamp collection, albums, shoes, food etc. are all more or less destroyed by 3 types of super aggressive mold. Of course we have tried all possible ways to fight the mold. First by putting moisture sucking boxes in every nook and corner, buying two big air drying machines and running them constantly, replacing the walls of the two rooms facing north with a special anti-mold, moisture controlling material, but none of it helped even a bit. And the agent and the landlord just say something like, "oh...so sorry about your loss. These are Japanese houses, so foreigners wouldn't understand how to live in them. Moisture is normal in Japan, so Japanese people have no problem. Only stupid foreigners make trouble with their ignorance."
It of course doesn't matter that every other place I have lived in, in Japan, have been perfectly manageable (And I have been moving a lot and lived in many different places in Japan), that my partner is in fact Japanese, and so is everyone else among our neighbors who live in the same house and are suffering. The only difference, I guess, is that Japanese people don't complain at all even if they are suffering, they rather just keep the peace. My neighbor actually told me they cannot take it anymore and will run away from the mold (move) hopefully before the end of year.
Apart from the stuff, I have developed a bad cough as I can imagine it is not exactly healthy to constantly inhale mold spores every day and every night from the bed, sofa, surroundings and everything. Had it been Europe or America, I would have sued them. But here no-one thinks about health issues and damages. As long as peace is kept, everybody is happy, even if they die keeping the peace. Oh well, when in Rome I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment