Monday, July 17, 2017

The main map

Good, no?
OK, so I got tired of sucking at drawing, took the official map and painted over it so the shapes and sizes are all correct now. This is the whole property, and I will try to explain my revised plans using it. In coming posts I will also use the same map hopefully.
So, the garden is basically two parts, one is the flat area (the green) and the other is the big slope (the purple area)
I have already used plastic nets and poles (Did it all during the weekend, very proud of myself. I managed to make a straight net without having to cut any trees that happened to be on the border.) to fence in the west side of the property (Bright green line on the right side). I decided to leave out a small triangular bit that will not be any additional benefit if fenced in. There is a big tree trunk there and the ground goes down suddenly. I will try to fill that gap with vegetation and soil over time, to get a little bit of stability, but other than that I would have to put in a retaining wall, which now after having consulted with the builder guy (who keeps trying to sell me improvements of all sorts) seems like a bad idea (even the builder guy looked surprised and puzzled how a wall should fit there, and didn't even bother trying to sell me a solution for it)
On the south I already got the tall fence (black line on top)
What I now need to get is a bit of metal fencing plus a gate big enough for people to separate the car port and the house. (House is the blue area, and the fence+gate shall be somewhere along the purple line. Then I will be able to draw a net between that fence and the already in place net (dark green line at the bottom), as well as include the shed (grey) in the area using a net (dark green line on top left)
Then the cats can go out and play. And it will not have been as expensive as fencing in everything using metal fences and concrete. I will have to do a bit of maintenance of the netting but that should be fine.
By the way, Tora snuck out for a minute by himself the other day, and sat in the corner between the shed and the house in the yellow area. Luckily he was too surprised that he had made it out and was dealing with the shock, and did not run away. That gave me time to crawl in that narrow area and fetch him. Just a reminder that we need the fencing.
Once the fencing is finished, or during, I shall get me a chainsaw and get rid of the big tree. Plus I will cover the flat garden with black mulch to control the weed, and get some cow dung to prepare and make raised beds. Also I definitely need to do something about the purple area. The slope looks bad. The patio is falling lower and lower on my todo list, but is not forgotten.
Then I shall build a little coop for the chicken area, and also add some more trees. I am thinking pomegranate, mullberries, maybe mikan, cherry and walnuts. I shall also see if I can get a grant from the city to put in a 120 litre rain water tank somewhere.
That is my revised plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment