Sunday, July 23, 2017

Last weekend

Imagine this, times 10
First of all early in the morning we suited up with a anti-mosquito fan each, and one more to place on the ground just to be sure, with gloves and boots and everything to avoid the sting of some unknown bug, and headed for the blueberry bushes in the garden.
Our quest was to harvest all the blueberries that were ripe to see how much we would get, plus to avoid the waste. It turned out to be a loooot of berries. We are not pros so it took maybe an hour but it was fun, and after that we are up to our elbows in blueberries. I even took some time to get rid of the weed growing all around the bushes. No mosquito bites.
However, I did get more than my share of bites later in the evening when the construction guys came around to discuss the front gate design and plans. I didn't have the anti-mosquito machine with me and was just wearing sandals, so the bugs helped themselves to as much me as they could eat.
After 30 minutes or so the head construction guy had enough and fled the scene. 5 minutes later I had without noticing it myself scratched my calf so much that blood had started flowing down my foot. Noticing the red stream I too excused myself while washing my leg with the water hose outside. We kind of concluded the talk with the builder-agent-middle-man-guy and he said he would send me some estimations.

I removed two tiny trees that I didn't like in the garden. I also ordered a mini-chainsaw which should be arriving soon, so that I can cut down the big tree.
We took a bicycle ride in the roads nearby and found an old shop that sold saplings and garden supplies. We bought a pomegranate and two seedless grape saplings and they are now part of the garden collection. Let's see which of them actually survives.
I also bought plastic mulch sheet and more netting. Will look around to see where I can buy some cow manure to build up my garden and prepare for vegetables.
I also found a small 120L water tank for collecting rain water and using in the garden. The city gives a bit of economic support to those who apply when purchasing tanks, so I did apply. Hopefully I will get some of the price paid by my tax money.

It is super super hot out almost all the time so I didn't risk being outside for too long in the sun working. Hence not much progress on the reshaping and fencing...    

No comments:

Post a Comment