Monday, July 24, 2017

Slopes

Walls for dummies
OK, after 3 weeks it is clear that without fixing the slopes I cannot do any serious planning or design for the garden. We got these problems:
  1. The large drop at the most south-west corner of garden.
  2. The long large diff between land levels of house and garden.
  3. The long steep uphill on the south side of the house, currently terraced.
  4. The long slope on the north 1/3rd of the west side.
All nicely marked in below MAP
The MAP is useful
Number 2 was easy and is already fixed by pros. They put in a nice block wall.
Number 1 is the most tricky... the drop happens right at the border between the neighbor and me. So for example putting in a retaining wall would mean building on both sides, unless I want to remove lots of soil from my side in order to back the wall and construction into my land. The area surrounding it is also a bit of jungle, so it is not easily accessible to for example transport a big concrete wall there. There are a couple of old tree trunks, almost rotten, holding back the earth. As alternative I can leave it like it is more or less. I can try to reinforce that area with piles and vertical wooden boards, and fill in between them with stuff. And I can avoid adding load on top of the earth at that area and maybe plant something to strengthen the earth with its roots... Really not sure yet. I am still waiting for estimates from pros as well. If it is realistic and within my budget, I may ask them to put in a wall... who knows.
Number 3 is currently terraced. But the terrace retainers are almost giving in and rotting. And on the topmost terrace the earth has become hollow, and just stepping on its surface without care my foot would sink in half a meter maybe. Also above that whole area is steep and it is real hard to pass it in order to reach the east side. I need to stabilize that area, and also make it possible to pass over. Probably I can do this by making wider, fewer terraces. Now there are 3 terraces, which maybe would be more stable if reduced to 2 terraces with wooden walls replaced with blocks...
Number 4 is not in the way of anything but seems like a waste, and is a bit ugly as it is near the front side of the house, so I may need to think up something for it. Not the highest priority though. It is pretty steep.

No comments:

Post a Comment