Thursday, July 6, 2017

Moving in

I think every time I move, since I am older than the last time, I feel the physical effects more. I have moved many times but this time I have been super tired and my entire body has been aching for like 3 days straight. I still got muscle pain, and it feels real real good every chance I get to sit down for a few seconds.
Anyway... the moving company came around noon, not knowing that this was the beginning of the hottest week in summer, they worked hard and sweated a lot, I also helped out and within an hour everything was loaded into the truck, including my kiwi sapling. It turned out a colony of ants had moved into its pot after I transplanted it. When I lifted it lots of angry ants fell out. I was considering leaving it behind but the moving guy (incidentally the moving company is also called ants) made a separate box, filled its bottom with water and put the pot in it, so the ants wouldn't get out and spread. That way the kiwi could also join us.
Lifting the bed and the drawer I discovered that the mold problem had been even worse than I thought. The floor/wall hidden behind the furniture was really covered with mold. There was not enough time and moving guys and I were not sure if these could be thrown away right away, so they packed the bed and the drawer into two layers of thick plastic each to isolate the mold.
After we arrived, I had more time to survey the mold damages. The bed had not actually taken the mold that badly, so I decided to give it a new chance by painting all its surfaces. As for the drawer, it was badly infested with mold, so I decided to throw it out. I have kept it outside for now.

Anyway, back to the moving... The moving truck drove away, and we got into the rental car, with the cats in cages in the back, I punched in the new address in the GPS and off we drove. It was a 1 hour drive with constant mewing in stereo. The cats both refused to drink and just mewed all the way without even a couple of seconds break. I had the air conditioner on at max as it was super hot, and trying to concentrate on driving with all the noise going on sounding like someone was slowly killing my cats.

I did record the agony. Here is only a 2 minute cut from towards the end when they were getting tired... the whole recording is almost an hour of the same thing. (MP3 LINK)

Eventually we arrived, all very exhausted but glad it was over. I let the cats out with their food, water and toilets into the bathroom and closed the door. Phew. Never again. The bathroom is pretty roomy, even by western standards, and the cats got a bit relaxed and started sniffing around, even if still panting.

Soon after, the moving guys arrived with their truck, and started unloading the stuff. Almost everything were to go to 1st floor except for some big closets, a sofa, mattress etc, which they managed to squeeze up through the narrow stairs. All except a double closet which was just too big. They were going to send it up through the balcony but decided at the last moment that it might break the back board of the closet which is IKEA material... I asked them to leave it on the first floor so I would take it apart and reassemble it myself on 2F.

With everything unloaded, and the movers gone, we let the cats out of the bathroom, put their litter boxes in the entrance (Also super roomy) and they got busy investigating the new place.
We still had a couple of hours left until the car was to be returned, allowing us to visit the shopping mall 25 minutes walk from there. We bought some paint, food, drinks and some cleaning stuff and other stuff we though we might need and rushed back, dumped it in the house and drove back to the nearest rental store 30 minutes drive away, and arrived just 2 minutes before they closed. Phew.

Took the train back and before even thinking about unpacking, had dinner and rested a bit. Then unpacked pretty much just the mattress and went to sleep...

The next day we simultaneously unpacked, assembled the furniture, started painting the bed in the balcony and washed clothes and cleaned the new house, in random order, mostly jumping between the tasks back and forth.
OK, so I am not a great photographer.
I had a couple of minutes to go out in the garden and see what was there. I found a huge blueberry bush with lots of berries ready to eat. I also found blackberry, parsley and various vegetables. After I am done with the interior and move, I will start organizing the garden, and after that the forest plot.

The guys that were coming to put a block wall between the garden and the house called and said their material had been delayed due to typhoon and would come several days later...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment